Sunday, January 20, 2008




It’s the internal mold of a bivalve. (Like a mussel or clam-)

Found in NW Hays County, Texas.

It was alive during the Cretaceous period 60 to 145 million years ago (MA).

I’ve done some Google research tonight with no definitive results. What I remember about its name is that it had the root ‘cardia’ in it: protocardia or procardia.

Essentially, a fossil heart. (Yeah, yeah.)

My favorite finds are a crab from the same period, and an ammonite, maybe 7 inches in diameter. The crab was at my feet in the wet-weather creek in the neighborhood, the ammonite half-anchored in the ditch across the street from the house. But they’re packed away somewhere.

Even a haiku I wrote about the fossils of that area is packed away; my current laptop won’t translate my documents from the old computer. Not complaining-just getting motivated to re-unite my baggage this year.

The haiku is also in a paper format somewhere, one of my few published poems. I think the last line goes:

time, the comedian

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, its kinda funny, those proticular clams are found in texas, I live right down th eroad from glenn rose, where the dino tracks are. I am meeting with Houdton university this week to ct scann dinofossils also. and these so call clams in my eyes are not clams at all, this may seem a little crazy,But I have whole organism preservation here. Meaning the whole preservation of the item, long story short whole dino. I have pictures if you would like to see, these clams actually grow heads and limbs. It is unbelievable. The university of austin said same thing as you, and myself also, and I think they started it, however the houston university saw pictures of my fossils and contacted me. The austin got on part right it is proto somthing. From what I see it's an egg from a protoceritops dinosaur. AND there has never been an egg found and I blam that on austin, they just won't give you the time of day, well they will be sorry after my trip this week to the next university down the road. This is the first time I have ever heard proto in front of that clam, May I ask who told you that. I am having them ct scanned also, what I am saying is you may have a triceritops egg, I will keep you posted, and if you like I will send you the pictures of the ones growing heads and limbs.celinda@mail.com

linda said...

Thank you for writing. I addressed some of the issues you've brought up in today's post (8 December 2008) which is about the specific fossil in my photo. Good luck with your research-perhaps you have discovered something altogether different!