Sunday, January 6, 2008

OK. Here’s the short version. A rat was dying on my shoe. It was a rat with healthy soft brown and gold fur. It was as big as my size 8 1/2 athletic shoe, and probably weighed a pound at least. It had a furry tail, not one of tough skin, and it had large gentle brown eyes. She looked at me squarely without panic or accusation, perhaps with love. I was stunned and disturbed, uncertain what I was to do. In the end, I left her alone to either come out of her shock and go her own way, or to die in peace. After all, she had taken sanctuary in my shoe. I wasn't going to move her.

I returned a couple hours later to find her body curled up a foot or two away from my shoes.

Sometimes it takes extraordinary events to startle us out of our apathy. During those hours, I thought about what message this rat carried that she should go to such lengths to get my attention. The issues that surfaced will offer direction throughout this new year.

No comments: