Tuesday, April 29, 2008



I’ve been teaching my left hand to get along better with my right. Usually, they are so on their own paths. The right does most of the work and decision making, the left pitches in when necessary.

My fingers found a little bit of familiar classical ditty on the piano. It was much easier to just let my right hand handle the whole melody. Instead, I divided it up, made my hands work together. Much harder, and initially less smooth a rendition, but perhaps more potential for developing new skills and greater range when the two hands work seamlessly together.

I really don’t play piano well; I play guitar. One might argue the left hand's role on a guitar is actually more complex and demanding than that for the right. The roles of the two hands are so distinctly different, though, that it’s not so much integration as collaboration.

I've been wanting to be more focused, have the halves of my brain better integrated, feelings in better agreement with actions. With this particular exercise on the piano, my two hands must really be one.

No comments: