Tuesday, September 9, 2008



Gustav wasn’t as bad as predicted. We had learned that from the news. So on our return yesterday, the destruction we witnessed was rather a shock. Baton Rouge was hard hit: large trees crushed like match sticks along I-12 and I-10. I was driving, but Dad said he saw numerous places with missing roofs. Lafayette fared better, but still, there are huge piles of debris in front of almost every yard. Our own place was carpeted by fallen limbs, some as large as trees. It was a big storm.

I started the clean-up this morning. Hardly made a dent in it. My clothes were wet with sweat, and shoes soaked and jeans drenched to the knees. My plan was big limbs first, but some -as long as a van- were beyond me. I kept tripping on the little limbs. Sometimes y'have to take care of the small stuff before you can get to the big stuff.

We thought we were going to have to leave again this week because of the threat of Ike. Another road trip with a hundred thousand others! I’m very relieved Ike changed his mind about a visit to Louisiana -- and I know I'm not the only one.

But, I feel for those in Cuba today, and I hope west Texas and northern Mexico get some of the rain they need without coming to harm.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just Sunday I had to get a ladder and go into our largest pecan tree in the front yard where a large, broken branch was lodged over the sidewalk. The possibility of an upcoming storm worried me that it might fall on a pedestrian. Carol helped me toss a lasso over an end after I sawed what I could so high that our extension ladder did not extend.

And now I can vividly see you in the humidity working the fallen debris away from your family lawn. I hope you work on it in measured bouts.

I can only do such huge, depressing tasks of that sort if the child in me can see clear progress (no pun intended).

linda said...

Not to worry-
day 2, progress was evident.
I don't remember y'all's pecan tree. They do tend to shed their limbs at the least provocation...
I've been cracking last season's pecans tonight for freezing...(lol)