Wednesday, March 12, 2008


My favorites at University Museum of Art were the works of Joseph Cameau and Nicholas Dreux, Haitian painters. They both use the palette knife, they tend to outline areas in black (like if Roualt were tropical) and their color palettes are very similar. While the video art had an agitated undercurrent, the Haitian paintings were full of serenity.

Yesterday, I exited a filling station forgetting to replace the gas cap which was sitting on the back of the car. I drove some distance to pay a 14 dollar bill onto which had been added a 15 dollar late fee because I forgot last month to pay it. When I got to the parking lot, two young women in a truck gently beeped and pointed to the gas cap. I parked and screwed on the cap. I went in to pay the bill. My checkbook was not in my purse; I'd forgotten it in my room. The cashier stared down at the counter.

I can reproduce in my mind a couple of the Haitian paintings, both by Cameau. In the one that held my attention longest, a town center is surrounded by small, four-walled structures. Each wall and roof are smoothly spackled with different colors, but there is no clashing, the colors work seamlessly, the little houses easy on the eye. The central area is filled with people, close-up, all seated or on foot, men dressed alike, women dressed alike, but in many colors. Their arms and legs are long, their postures relaxed. Their clothing connects them, the colors suggest individuality. In the strokes of paint, there's a tenderness.

No comments: