Monday, December 15, 2008



This is Cathedral Oak in Lafayette, Louisiana.

It's reported to be 500 years old. Hard to see, but it now relies on steel rods to support its heavy limbs.

I have prettier pictures of it, but I'm posting this one.

Tonight, the tree popped into my mind during meditation at the end of yoga, and then, a number of people I haven't thought of in a while surfaced, as though the tree were blooming with kind, supportive cohorts.

This tree is the setting for an uncle's favorite childhood memories with his friends.

The yoga class is a weekly event with dedicated participants and teacher. It takes place in a house with great African art and objects. The host's work is some distance away. It must require planning and effort to have a clean space and yogi tea ready each week. The class has an upbeat energy and amazing focus; the teacher is very in synch with her students and conjures up some remarkable sessions, mostly kundalini these days.

It's important to know the places and people and activities that have healing properties in one's life. They won't be the same for everyone. I've written about Pedernales Falls earlier this week, Shintaido off and on throughout this blog. I didn't know where I was going tonight, writing about a tree and yoga, but now I know. It's about power sources that feed and heal us.

No comments: