Saturday, January 10, 2009














Today was likely my last practice on the beautiful, rugged field on Lamar. There was a gusty north wind. An armadillo showed up again, taking the same route from brush to bamboo. The great blue heron was perched in the pond in the apartment complex. (The pond was cleaned this week of styrofoam cups and other litter by a man in a red jacket. It looks much better.) A bright male cardinal was on a bare branch of a tree when I arrived, and was still there when I left.

Ball moss fascinates me. It's quite lovely and intriguing in its tangled design, neutral colors, and pale little bloomings. When adhered to a tree limb, the blooms dangle below. But when the balls fall to the ground, the flowers seem to land upright. Many people in this region worry that ball moss kills oaks, but the articles I've come across over the years suggest ball moss just parks on the trees, and lives off the moisture and nitrogen in the air.

I never would have called it pretty until these past few weeks.

I'm curious about the benefits of its design. I'm interested in its reputed potential to shrink tumors, and combat HIV. I hope to learn more.

(Only pictures 1, 3 and 5 have ball moss in them.)

No comments: