Wednesday, October 29, 2008


Among the newly ripening grapefruit, there are ten or so that are hard to reach and so remained on the tree from last year. After freezes, summer rain, heat, and two hurricanes, it seemed doubtful they would be any good. I picked one anyway a couple weeks back, stuck it in the fridge to cool, then forgot about it. I figured it would taste spoiled, or be dried out or have bugs.

Yesterday, it caught my attention, and I had a tentative go at it. I cut it in half, saw that it looked ok, smelled its pungent tartness. I ate all the flesh, which was plump, mild, and sweet, then went for the juice with my spoon, but there was so much! I squeezed it into a glass--over half a cup after having already eaten the fruit. Is this remarkable, or are double-season grapefruit a little-known delicacy?

And no, I did not mistake a current newly ripened fruit for one from last year. This one's skin was rubbery, and inside, two of the seeds were sprouted. I stuck them in the earth today.

How generous the land is.


No comments: