Saturday, March 29, 2008

About to leave, I stood by the door at Riptide listening to the last measures of 'Mona Lisa', catching glimpses past the drinkers of the red-shirted straw-hatted Octomutt guitarist. But it was such a satisfying experience, the steady friendly vocals, the fiddle and the bass, I waited instead just to hear what would be next, and there it came, two blocks from the Pacific Ocean in San Francisco. And in my head, I was hearing Lost John singing it under the oaks at Nutty Brown Cafe outside of Austin, and the Ernest Tubb impersonation I'd heard only this morning in Berkeley.


Waltz Across Texas
(Quanah Talmadge "Billy" Tubb)

When we waltz together, my world's in disguise
A fairyland tale that's come true,
And when you look at me with those stars in your eyes,
I could waltz across Texas with you.

chorus:
I could waltz across Texas with you in my arms
Waltz across Texas with you;
Like a storybook ending I'm lost in your charms
I could waltz across Texas with you.

My troubles and heartaches are all up and gone
The moment you came into view;
And with your hand in mine I could dance on and on
I could waltz across Texas with you.

Before I met you, I never would dance
Never would dance it is true;
But now we're together I jump at the chance
To waltz across Texas with you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was a real pleasure to see you last night! I'm sorry we didn't get to visit much. Are you in town long?
ted

linda said...

It was fun to see and hear your band--y'all play with heart and professionalism. I see from Octomutt.com you do other kinds of music too-I hope to have the opportunity to check that out one of these days. (Unfortunately, not this trip-I'm leaving tomorrow.)

Thanks for stopping by!